7 Tips for Dealing With Your Nasty Inner Critic
Were you ever about to do something - and then suddenly, that condescending voice inside your head starts talking smack?
"Why did you do that? You’re a bad person. No one wants to talk to you. You will never achieve anything in life. You are so stupid. Don't talk, you'll embarrass yourself. You are such a fraud."
That negative voice inside your head that judges, criticizes, or demeans you is your inner critic. Your inner critic plays a critical role in how you see yourself and your self-esteem.
When you don’t know how to deal with your inner critic, you can feel ashamed, worthless, or low on self-esteem. Imposter syndrome has raised its ugly head.
Your inner critic might undermine your every accomplishment. Or it might show up as you enter a room of people you’ve never met before. That harsh inner critic can lead to self-doubt or lack of confidence.
When you let your inner critic control too many of your actions, it could hold you back from things like growth, connection, and your full potential.
Even though the way we think influences how we behave, those thoughts we have are not always true! If someone feels insecure and believes no one wants to talk to them, how charismatic do you think they will be in social settings?
Follow these strategies to deal with your inner critic and take control of your life:
1. Acknowledge and understand. When negative thoughts come up, acknowledge your thoughts. Try to understand the source of where your thoughts are coming from.
How old do I feel right now?
Why do I feel this way?
What are some patterns I recognize?
Where do these thoughts come from?
How do these thoughts affect my behavior?
2. What advice would you give a friend? If a friend came to you in the same situation as you feel, what advice would you give to them? Many times, we are harder on ourselves than we are with others.
3. Separate facts from feelings. Your brain might be hardwired to think that no one wants to talk to you or that you’re a bad person. But is that actually a fact? Practice sorting through facts and your feelings.
What is another, more positive way you could look at the situation?
4. Practice self-acceptance and self-compassion. Replace negative or critical thoughts with accepting and compassionate ones. Have a selection of empowering, compassionate beliefs you can tell yourself instead of succumbing to negative ones.
5. Write down positive thoughts (and successes). When your inner critic comes out, what is it saying? How can you challenge your inner critic?
Write down times when people have said positive things about you.
Focus on your strengths and what you are good at.
If there is some truth to the critic, what can you do to change?
6. Distract yourself when you start replaying mistakes in your head. Have you ever made a mistake and replayed those moments repeatedly? That doesn’t resolve the issue. If you’re ruminating instead of actively problem-solving, distract yourself from those thoughts.
Take a walk.
Read a book.
Listen to a podcast
Play a game.
Cuddle your pet/child or loved one.
Do something to help someone else
Volunteer and help others
7. Remind yourself that everyone has an inner critic. Having an inner critic is a human function. It comes from the parts of our brain that evolved to protect ourselves. If you find yourself in a loop of critical thoughts, remind yourself that every human experiences self-doubt at one point or another.
Your inner critic does not have to control your life! Taking these steps to silence your inner critic and nurture a more empowering inner dialogue can help you grow and expand your horizons.
There’s a difference between that harmful voice telling you that you are not good enough and wanting to improve yourself. Use the tips above to silence your inner critic so you can reach your full potential.
Rebranding your business can help add energy and vitality to your company. Knowing your message well, making an impact, and being proud of your presence can help shut up that nasty inner critic and give you some well-deserved confidence!
Keep alert, the Ugly Logo Contest is on it's way! If you hate your logo or have a logo that is stale and dated, this is your chance. NLC is known for our stellar logos, and you may win a new one for free!
Would you like a partner to work with you on your design and marketing efforts? Give us a call for a FREE brand audit! We'd love to help! Linktr.ee/neonlizardcreative
©Neon Lizard Creative 2021 | Rebecca Rausch | neonlizardcreative.com | 952.452.0168
Speaking topics: Networking, A Year of Content the Easy Way, Branding vs Marketing
If you would like to guest post on NLC's blog, let us know! We'd love to share your knowledge with our business community.